Saturday 16 May 2015

Bags of Decoration - Dawn Heald



Happy Weekend,

Hope you have got a fabulous weekend planned!
We have a fabulous post here for you today.....

You are going to love this, 
Dawn is here today to show you her Bags of Decoration,
it is beautiful!




Dawn says -

"I've got out the Pebeo Seta Suede paints and got stencilling and
 stamping to make a little bag. I've started with the white cotton
 bag from the website and after decorating it I've basically folded
 it in half and sewn it up. Shortened the handles 
and re - sewn on!


When thinking about what to do with the bag, there are
 a few ways to make a different shape of bag with only simple
 sewing needed. You could also push up from the bottom and 
make a lined bag that way with a pocket.  
See what you make with yours.



To begin, wash, dry the cotton bag. Don't use fabric
 conditioner. The idea is, you're getting rid of the primer to enable
 the paint to adhere properly.  I've missed this step before
 now and it does make a difference.


Start by getting a base colour to your bag. I tied the bag into
 small rolls and twists with string. Then I made a mix of the
 fabric paints and water like thin cream. Blue first then lilac.
 I used a sponge to apply the colour.
 Leave to dry.
Then with stencils and a stencil brush I  applied the 
fabric paints creating a design all over one side. I did
 one design at a time.

Then I added dots of Pebeo white 3d paint from the tube.
 Leave to dry.

Whilst drying I painted some fabric flowers with the same fabric
 paints used on the bag.


Then with Stazon inks I stamped some small designs to fill the areas
 as shown in pictures.


I left it to dry thoroughly and then turned bag inside out and
 used an iron to set the paints. 

Then I folded the bottom edge up towards the top and 
stitched the two sides together at a size I liked.


 I made
 the handles smaller and re stitched them on.

To finish I added some seam binding and buttons as
 decorative embellishments and the flower corsage.


I really enjoyed making this bag and must say
 thank you to my mum who helped me use her
 machine. However it is easy enough to hand sew
 the sides together".

Told you it was great project....


Products Dawn used -


PaperArtsy Stencils Lin Brown, JOFY
Stazon Inks - Mustard, Vibrant Violet, Dove Grey


From own stash

Seam binding red, string


So, there is another week over,
I'll be back on Sunday with the new Weekly Challenge.

Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.