Saturday 21 July 2012

Dry embossed Simply Saturday

Hi, 
Simply Saturday with Gay today and two beautiful cards. Particularly love the first one, so elegant. 
I hope you enjoyed this dry embossing week. And I guess we will soon find out. Tomorrow, I will be posting a new challenge for you to have a play.

A wedding or anniversary card, love the peacocks on this folder (Sizzix, Peacocks and Leaves A2 embossing folders), I left it in white. The background was adhered to the filmstrip with the matt medium and it doesn't show through the acetate but the embossing of the peacocks tail is visible. Because the card is wider a larger envelope is required but I don't see that as a major problem and perhaps a box would be nice, I can see where my next project might be LOL

The heart was made with Pardo Clay (Mother of Pearl)

 I used 

*****

I started this project by spraying Dylusions inks and masking and inking onto white card. Taking the result and passing it through the cuttlebug inside my Sizzix leaf embossing folder, I used Old Silver Inka Gold to highlight the leaves, I then cut them out. I masked the circle on my card blank and shaded the new Summer Distress colours by TH Mowed Lawn, fabulous colour green, and Salty Ocean, a great blue! I couldn't decide which colour ink to do the sentiment in so I stamped three different colours on copy paper and tried them all. Would you have chosen differently? I'm curious, how you would have proceeded with a different colour? I'd love to know?


Anyway I decided on the green text and stamped it on the circle. It all looked a little flat so I masked the circle again and sprayed with the Dylusions sunshine yellow ink, dabbing and lifting some of the green this gave me a little texture and the circle started to look like a grassy patch. That's when I decided to spray with the red ink and bingo all of a sudden I had poppies, magic. This made a lot more sense of the sentiment, I had originally meant it to refer to the leaves but it just fitted better with the poppies! 


A little black center and some glitter pen to highlight the centre, I drew stalks and the card was pretty much made, just shaped and popped the leaves up with Pinflair glue to finish.

This last photo shows my spray box, having made such a mess spraying unprotected I needed to contain the inks so I cut out the lid of a box and use that now, it's not pretty but it's definitely much less messy.
For this card, Gay used:


See you tomorrow for a challenge ;)

8 comments:

  1. I have a spray box too! I keep odd bits of paper in it which catch the residue spray & make good background bases after a few squirts. I would have gone with the green text too - it stands out but looks part of the whole piece. The poppies are inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A spray box is definately a must. It doesn't matter how pretty this looks but the focus is the magic that's created within it.
    Great card! I love that you turned the red dots from the spray into tiny poppies, so clever and pretty.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the clean simplicity of the white embossed peacocks. Then that fabulous colour explosion. I thought the poppies were stamped on. Inspired. Must look at working more messily. Beautiful projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both cards, the simple embossing is such a great technique and sooooo easy to do! The problem is that we feel we must do more, so well done on keeping it simple and elegant! The poppy circle is inspired! Love, love, love poppies! Way to go Gay! Super! I think the sentiment in green is the best choice, thank you for letting us in on the design process....it takes time doesn't it? :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous poppy card - lovely to hear the creative process that led to such a beautiful piece. Super elegant embossed card too! I got it all wrong and started dry embossing at the beginning of the week - project already posted!! But I'm looking forward to creating something new next week.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always lovely work from Gay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A spray box is a must!! :) Beautiful projects, love the embossing.

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.